Photos and Restorations

Bobsy SR3 Vintage Sports Racer

I was given a great opportunity to restore a 1965 Bobsy SR3 Sports Racer that I found for one of my customers in 1991. What was so special about this car is that it is an American made "Aluminum" tube framed Sports Racer built by Jerry Mong in Medina, Ohio. The Bobsy race cars were a very successful in various sports car events across the country as including claiming National Championships!
An interesting aspect of these cars, as well as other Sports Racers of the era, is that they could be adapted to use a variety of engines and this car in particular was fitted with a 1300 cc Alfa Romeo GTA Junior unit fitted with two Weber side draft carburettors.



I became aware of this car from a co-worker of mine who had raced it for a time and decided to upgrade it with new bodywork. He had taken the car apart and started the conversion but never finished it. I told a customer of mine about the car and after some inspection and negotiation I obtained the Bobsy on my client's behalf and began the restoration process.

The car consisted basically of the frame, engine and drivetrain as there was no bodywork at all. The car had been sitting for a number of years and although in the dry Arizona climate there was some corrosion, oxidation and dry rot which was to be expected. However, overall the car was in pretty good shape!
The following photos show the car as I got it.










This photo shows where the subframe was cut off so a different nose could be fitted


Pedal area


Bits!


Dash


Stripped, cleaned up and ready to be operated on!
The first order of business would be to repair the subframe which the following photos will show.
I also disassembled the engine and sent certain bits out for cleaning and machining.


A trick to repair tube frames that I learned from Rick Stewart (Stewart Racing Phoenix, Az.) from my Midget and Sprint car days was to machine a spud to fit the inside diameter of the tube to give more strength to the repair. These spuds were rose welded into the frame. The rest of the repair was pretty standard from there.






New tubing welded in. After welding the replacement tubes in I filed down and sanded/polished the welds to make the repair appear seamless. The result will be seen in later photos.


Subframe restored to original! All aluminum cleaned and polished up and ready for more fabrication, rebuilding and assembly!
Oh...that frame to the right of the Bobsy is a Lotus 51A Formula Ford, but that's another story!


Alfa oil pan with a pretty trick sump. It also had a windage tray. I'm sorry that I didn't take a whole lot more pictures of this engine when I had it apart, like of the Two ring super high dome pistons, the rods and crank and other bits. I'll need to look for more...


Dusty, dirty Webers! Not to worry as they were in good shape, cleaned up after rebuilding and performed well.


Finished and waiting!


Hub and spindle rebuild


Brake and Clutch hydraulic rebuilding


This car had original Bobsy wheels but the PCD (Pin Circle Diameter) had been altered and needed repair.
The following photos will show where I machined "plugs" to be pressed and epoxied into a larger bore that I drilled in order to work with a round hole. I then milled to surface flat, indexed a new PCD and drilled new holes. No computers or automation was used in this process...I couldn't afford that stuff!










Fitting


Ta Dum! Entire wheel epoxy painted, center painted black and the rim polished...ready for vintage Goodyears!


This is the new rear body section. Fortunately I was able to locate the person who had the original molds for this car and he made me a set of bodywork. As I remember the gent's name was Phile Gurile (not entirely positive as I'm going from my feeble memory banks as my records are buried in the shed somewhere!!!) and they may still be available. I understand that Jerry Mong's son Ron has his own shop, Elite Fab and Machine in Hilliard, Ohio and may be or have a source for Bobsy bits.
The following photos will show the body parts and some of the modifications and repair needed to fit this particular car. It was very light weight but turned out nice when finished.









The body ended up getting some extensive work but it fit pretty well when all was said and done.
After I finished painting it when all the fit and finish was completed I was fairly satisfied.

A fair amount of aluminum panel fabrication was required such as making a new floor pan, inner wheelwells, various Dzus tabs and brackets and so on.
Here are a few shots of that process and the coming together of the car!


One piece formed floor pan








Pedal box. Hydraulics, Radiator Air Extraction Ducting


The Office!


If you look real, real closely at the upper frame tube just above the steering rack bellows you may see some evidence of the previously mentioned subframe repair!
(However it's a fine line to discern!!!)


Alfa Power, Weber Love!






Swoopy header, oil cooler and nice shiny engine!


Nice cockpit! Fabricating the windscreen without a buck was fun!


We're done, here are a couple finished photos.






A very special photo of my Dad and me in the finished product...cool!

Please feel free to ask any questions or make any comments about this restoration.
I also have a photo or two of this car at the Phoenix Vintage Challenge V (5) Concours that I need to dig out and add to this page!

Tom
928-565-3040
ttrs1@citlink.com